Saturday, December 15, 2012

Work out with a friend!!

How working out with friends has benefited me:


1. Quality time together (even if you can't speak):

I've always found that I look forward to running or taking a group exercise class when I'm meeting someone there.  The brief moments before class, when you can quickly catch up with that person (and then the "crazy glances" during class to each other when you feel like you are about to die...)  


2. Kept me motivated

When I was training for my most recent 5K I trained with a friend of mine.  There were times I didn't feel like running, but I didn't want to let her down.  So I just did it.  


3. Gave me the guts to push to the next level.

The friend I was training with for the 5k was a "new runner" so I constantly pushed her to the next level (while also pushing myself). 


4. Trying something new together. 

I recently got to know one of the couples in my neighborhood, on more of a personal level.  Well guess what?!  They LOVE working out!  So the wife and I are going to try a CrossFit Class (OMG!!)  I would have NEVER tried this class by myself.  This coming Tuesday is our first class (so this may be my last blog post...lol)


5.  Don't let each other QUIT!

Going back to the 5k training I used the following phrases on a regular basis when talking to my friend.  "You can go ahead and hate me but you should be proud of how fast we ran that mile"  "You can punch me when we're done"  "I know you hate running, but you are doing great"  "You will never speak to me again but we are going to push it until the end of this mile"    



Find a friend, make a plan and stick to it!! 



Wish my BFFs were closer, I'd MAKE them run and workout with me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment